Marlow with its beautiful Thames side setting is The Burnside Partnership’s base in the Thames Valley. The town originally grew up at the place where the road between Reading and High Wycombe crossed the river and is recorded as Mere lafan in 1015 (meaning ‘land left after the draining of a pond’). Marlow had its own market as early as 1227; today there is a popular market on the first Saturday of every month with local businesses selling their produce, food and crafts.
Today’s attractive suspension bridge dates from 1831 (a prototype for a larger bridge across the Danube in Budapest) but a crossing of the Thames was recorded in Marlow as early as 1294, probably near The Compleat Angler Hotel.
The town has been associated with rowing since 1871, when the prestigious Marlow Rowing Club was founded; quintuple gold medallist Sir Steve Redgrave is the most famous Olympic oarsman associated with the Club. The Marlow Town Regatta & Festival takes place in June, as does the Marlow International Regatta at Dorney Lake.
Other famous residents of Marlow have included Jerome K Jerome, T.S. Eliot and the Shelleys – Mary Shelley worked on Frankenstein while living at a house in West Street. George II (when Prince of Wales) lived at Marlow Place from 1720 to 1751.
Today the town offers a wealth of shops, pubs and restaurants including the first pub with two Michelin stars (The Hand and Flowers) and a branch of The Ivy – Marlow Garden.
33 miles west of central London, Marlow is accessible via several main routes including the M40 and the M4, and the town is also served by rail and bus services.